Sunday, December 12, 2010

Personal Top 10 for 2010

This isn't a new idea. I stole it from Keith Rawson over at Crime Factory and he in turn stole it from someone else. Whatever its origins, I'm adding to the ever growing list of personal highlights from 2010. In no particular order:

10. Judging the Davitt Awards

This year I put my hand up to be a judge for the Davitt Awards. These awards are given by the Sisters in Crime for the best published crime, true crime and YA crime books by Australian female writers. Aside from the sheer pleasure of having books delivered to my door on a weekly basis, I loved having the opportunity to read writers I hadn't yet read. Fellow judge, Tanya and I were responsible for co-judging the YA books. Wow, such innovative material and challenging stories. I wished I'd had books like these to read when I was a teenager. To be honest, many of the writers of the adult books were less impressive.

9. Lindy Cameron's launch for Clan Destine Press

Writer, editor, mentor, Sisters in Crime convenor and friend, Lindy Cameron launched her publishing business, Clan Destine Press , this year. A huge step for her but a momentous one. All of us who went to the launch commented that we were sure we'd look back on that night and realise it was the start of something big.

8. My little man started school

Yep, the little dude started school this year. I wasn't at all sad about it. I was excited for him. Yet I confess as I left him there at his school on that first day, I was unprepared for the empty feeling in my chest. He's had a ball and met some great friends. Now I can't believe his first year is over and then he'll be in a Grade One next year. Time is flying past way too fast.

7. My little girl

She can be hard going at times but I adore my little girl. She's a dynamo - determined, funny, cheeky and active. Currently addicted to the Wiggles, she loves to sing and dance. She never walks - just throws herself headlong into everything. The highlight this year was her sleeping. She now sleeps through the night and has a daily nap of 2-3 hrs!! A big step forward after a 18 months of interrupted and poor sleep - for both her and us.

6. Clan Destine

In 2008, the Clan Destine writing group was formed. We are a group of writers, most published in some form but all united by a love of the written word, who meet on a monthly basis to discuss each other's work and provide information and encouragement. The feedback is fearless but constructive. I always leave the meetings feeling absolutely jazzed.

5. My first finished manuscript

Yes, mark down 2010 as a milestone. I've started a million novels but this year I actually finished one. Granted it's only 20,000 words but it's also only in third draft form so hopefully it'll get longer. I'm working with the lovely Vikki Petraitis to improve and develop the manuscript and the aim is to have it ready to submit mid 2011. Hold onto your hats, people.

4. Being a Sisters in Crime co-convener

I've now been a co-convener with Sisters in Crime for two years and I absolutely love it. Such a funny, enthusiastic and friendly group of women. I love them all. This year I did two panels - one with PD Martin and Katherine Howell , and the other with Leigh Redhead and Wendy James . How privileged am I to able to interview 4 fabulous writers who happen to be funny, smart and gorgeous? I love this gig. In 2011 we'll be holding the SheKilda Again crime writers festival. It'll be HUGE!

3. My girlfriends

I am blessed to have an amazing group of girlfriends. 2009 was a tough year for most of us but this year I watched as my friends all blossomed and grew. No matter what challenges they took on, they succeeded. I'm proud of them all.

2. My partner

He is a challenging mix of worry wart and a bull in a China shop. This year he made changes to his working life which meant he now has a work/life balance and a job that isn't stressing him out of his mind. I'm proud of the moves he's made and of the person that he is. Love ya, babe.

1. my favourite read of the year - Jasper Jones

I tried to up my non-crime book reading this year and, whadya know, my favourite read for the year is a literary book (albeit with a crime at its heart). 'Jasper Jones' by Craig Silvey was shortlisted for the Miles Franklin and I can see why. I was hooked from page one and plowed my way through the book. It's the sort of book where you want a sequel because you're dying to know how the characters turn out. It's a coming of age book in the tradition of books like 'Huckleberry Finn' but set in rural Australia. The narrator is a funny, thoughtful 13 year old pulled into a terrible secret by Jasper Jones the town outcast. Full of pathos, humour and insighful, it is a fabulous book.

That's my year in a nutshell.

1 comment:

  1. I love to read your blogs, Jacqui!

    2010 was obviously a great year for you. I'm so glad of that - looking forward to seeing you in 2011.
    Love, Gina

    ReplyDelete